I hope you know that I am not defined by the hands that touched me. That my worth is not measured by the number bodies I have slept beside.
I am defined by the scar on my forehead, from when a surfboard cut me open and I laughed it off. I am defined by how I break for the old and homeless, and how I’m trying so so hard to be kind. I am defined by the poems I write for people, how these strangers find it weird that a girl they barely met for a week is giving a piece of herself for them to take back home. I am defined by the number of times I’ve sat alone all day in a coffeeshop, dreaming up stories about the crowds that pass me by, hoping, maybe, someone will notice me as much as I notice them, and be brave enough to say hi.
So instead of assuming the worst of me, get the nerve to ask and talk to me instead.
I am defined by how I want to define myself. Not by you, not by him, not by anyone else.Sade Andria Zabala (surfandwrite) | Get To Know Me (via surfandwrite)
Does anyone else lie in bed at 2:30am filled with the crippling fear that they’re never going to accomplish anything in life and fail miserably or is that just me
1. Don’t think that being published will make you happy. It will for four weeks, if you are lucky. Then it’s the same old fucking shit.
2. Hemingway was fucking wrong. You shouldn’t write drunk. (See my third novel for details.)
3. Hemingway was also right. ‘The first draft of everything is shit.’
4. Never ask a publisher or agent what they are looking for. The best ones, if they are honest, don’t have a fucking clue, because the best books are the ones that seemingly come from nowhere.
5. In five years time the semi-colon is going to be nothing more than a fucking wink.
6. In five years time every fucking person on Twitter will be a writer.
7. Ignore the fucking snobs. Write that space zombie sex opera. Just give it some fucking soul.
8. If it’s not worth fucking reading, it’s not worth fucking writing. If it doesn’t make people laugh or cry or blow their fucking minds then why bother?
9. Don’t be the next Stephen King or the next Zadie Smith or the next Neil Gaiman or the next Jonathan Safran fucking Foer. Be the next fucking you.
10. Stories are fucking easy. PLOT OF EVERY BOOK EVER: Someone is looking for something. COMMERCIAL VERSION: They find it. LITERARY VERSION: They don’t find it. (That’s fucking it.)
11. No-one knows anything. Especially fucking me. Except:
12. Don’t kill off the fucking dog.
13. Oh, yeah, and lastly: write whatever you fucking want.Matt Haig, “Some Fucking Writing Tips” (via alcantrez)